Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sambar Podi / kozambu Podi/ curry powder

Living In the U.S and running out of stock for homemade Sambar powder is something I always dreaded. I always make the freshly ground masala for sambar. And when I ask for a recipe, I get stone walled telling that I needed a machine (a typical one in India to grind these powders) or I need to have it dried under the hot sun. Both of which is an impossible thing here. My quest ended with my Sister in law, Sumithra Ranganath's easy recipe. It came out really great.






Here are the things we need
Coriander seed - 1 cup
Urad dal           - 1 cup
Channa dal       - 1 cup
Methi seeds     - 1 table spoon
Mustard seeds - 1 table spoon
Red chilli          - 250 gms ( typically this is only a rough measure) 
Asafoetida       -  a little

Turmeric powder - 4 spoons
Cinnamon    - 5 grams.
Maratti Mogghhu (Star Anise) - 5 grams


Dry roast all the above ingredients until golden brown and once you smell the fried chilli Switch off allow it too cool  and grind it to fine powder.



One can skip the last 2 ingredients too.


This powder can be used to make  Sambar, Curries.


No comments:

Post a Comment